Brave New World Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Words Words Words

5 posters

Go down

Words Words Words Empty Words Words Words

Post by notwalker Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Use this section to post your three words.

Last edited by notwalker on Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 pm; edited 10 times in total

notwalker

Back to top Go down

Words Words Words Empty Re: Words Words Words

Post by notwalker Mon May 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Beget (Pg 16 Last Line) :
to bring (a child) into existence by the process of reproduction.
Parents, in order to have a child, must beget a baby.

Porous (Pg 17 Line 13) :
having minute spaces or holes through which liquid or air may pass.
Sponge is a common porous material.

Salinity (Pg 17 Line 7)
the concentration of dissolved salts in water etc.
The fish died in the water because the salinity was too high.

notwalker

Back to top Go down

Words Words Words Empty Bro...Wooord

Post by vincent.nguyen Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 am

Soliloquizing (Pg 1) - Talk or saying to ones self
Decant(Pg 12) - To pour liquid or wine gently so as not to disturb the sendiment
Sibilant( Pg 17) - Hissing sound, phonetics

vincent.nguyen

Back to top Go down

Post by notwalker Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 am

I think decant may have been used because it means to pour without disturbance. Which falls in line with the conforming and homogeneous culture they are trying to create in that factory. Their culture does not want disturbance, "square pegs in round holes" are frowned upon.

notwalker

Back to top Go down

Words Words Words Empty Words

Post by Private1stClasChristensen Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 am

Peritoneum
The peritoneum /ˌpɛrᵻtəˈniːəm/ is the serous membrane that forms the lining of the abdominal cavity or coelom in amniotes and some invertebrates, such as annelids.

Private1stClasChristensen

Back to top Go down

Post by AMyette Thu May 04, 2017 8:58 am

Private1stClasChristensen wrote:Peritoneum
The peritoneum /ˌpɛrᵻtəˈniːəm/ is the serous membrane that forms the lining of the abdominal cavity or coelom in amniotes and some invertebrates, such as annelids.

This is great, but try to do more than just post definitions!

AMyette

Back to top Go down

Post by DenyceE Thu May 04, 2017 4:28 pm

In the beginning of chapter 2, "NEO-PAVLOVIAN CONDITIONING ROOMS" stands out to me. The word "neo" means new, and "pavlovian" means relating to classical conditioning as described by I. P. Pavlov.
After doing a little research I found that this guy, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov was a Russian physiologist known primarily for his work in classical conditioning. He was inspired to forsake his Orthodox Christian background and pursue a scientific career by D. I. Pisarev, a literary critique and natural science advocate of the time and I. M. Sechenov, a Russian physiologist, whom Pavlov described as 'The father of physiology'.
This is really important to know because this is what the nurses are doing to the babies in later paragraphs; they are conditioned through electroshock to shun books and flowers. if they try getting near them, they'll get zapped.

DenyceE

Back to top Go down

Post by DenyceE Thu May 04, 2017 5:07 pm

"Now turn them so that they can see the flowers and books." (12) Looking up the word "turned" I found it has two meanings: 1. move or cause to move in a circular direction wholly or partly around an axis or point and 2. change in nature, state, form, or color; become. Maybe the second meaning is being used because their trying to make the babies think and act a certain age at a really young age.

Some more words I didn't know:
Spasmodic: occurring or done in brief, irregular bursts (13)
Indissolubly: not dissoluble; incapable of being dissolved, decomposed, undone, or destroyed (14)
Gratuitous: uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted (14)

DenyceE

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 04, 2017 6:02 pm

DenyceE wrote:In the beginning of chapter 2, "NEO-PAVLOVIAN CONDITIONING ROOMS" stands out to me. The word "neo" means new, and "pavlovian" means relating to classical conditioning as described by I. P. Pavlov.
After doing a little research I found that this guy, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov was a Russian physiologist known primarily for his work in classical conditioning. He was inspired to forsake his Orthodox Christian background and pursue a scientific career by D. I. Pisarev, a literary critique and natural science advocate of the time and I. M. Sechenov, a Russian physiologist, whom Pavlov described as 'The father of physiology'.
This is really important to know because this is what the nurses are doing to the babies in later paragraphs; they are conditioned through electroshock to shun books and flowers. if they try getting near them, they'll get zapped.

Yes, very Pavlovian. You may also want to check out John Watson's work in Operant Conditioning: see https://www.simplypsychology.org/classical-conditioning.html and https://www.simplypsychology.org/operant-conditioning.html#class. Skinner's work, however, may postdate Huxley's work. - Myette

Admin
Admin

https://bravenewworldmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 04, 2017 6:06 pm

DenyceE wrote:"Now turn them so that they can see the flowers and books." (12) Looking up the word "turned" I found it has two meanings: 1. move or cause to move in a circular direction wholly or partly around an axis or point and 2. change in nature, state, form, or color; become. Maybe the second meaning is being used because their trying to make the babies think and act a certain age at a really young age. Interesting take on the word "turn," Denyce. In this connotation, it relates to conditioning. - Myette

Some more words I didn't know:
Spasmodic: occurring or done in brief, irregular bursts (13)
Indissolubly: not dissoluble; incapable of being dissolved, decomposed, undone, or destroyed (14)
Gratuitous: uncalled for; lacking good reason; unwarranted (14)

Admin
Admin

https://bravenewworldmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down