Brave New World Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Shakesphere?

3 posters

Go down

Why Shakesphere? Empty Why Shakesphere?

Post by sophialuna Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 pm

What do you think is the significance of Popé giving Linda (and eventually John) The Complete Works of William Shakesphere, rather than another emotional book/collection of books? Why does Popé even have that?

sophialuna

Back to top Go down

Why Shakesphere? Empty Good question

Post by Admin Sat May 13, 2017 3:26 pm

This is a good question. I think it ties into Chapter 3 when the Controller alludes to Shakespeare:

"There were some things called the pyramids, for example. And a man called Shakespeare. You've never heard of them, of course." (page 46 in my copy).

Admin
Admin

https://bravenewworldmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Why Shakesphere? Empty Re: Why Shakesphere?

Post by Jason.Green Tue May 23, 2017 4:54 pm

I think the inclusion of Shakespeare has not so much to do with the literal sense in the fact that Popé has the book, but more to do with the symbolic value that Shakespeare himself has. William Shakespeare is widely considered to be one of, if not the best playwright of all time. To have a collection of the works of an individual held in such high regard seems to imply something of John's intelligence and importance.

Jason.Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 23, 2017 6:19 pm

I don't disagree, Jason. I think it noteworthy as well the commentary the Shakespearean reference has on the contemporary situation/context in the book.

Admin
Admin

https://bravenewworldmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum