Brave New World Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Does Huxley Cut Back and Forth in Chapter 3?

2 posters

Go down

Why Does Huxley Cut Back and Forth in Chapter 3? Empty Why Does Huxley Cut Back and Forth in Chapter 3?

Post by Admin Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am

In chapter 3, Huxley cuts back and forth between the Controller; Lenina and Fanny; Bernard Marx and, intermittently, Henry Foster and the Assistant Predestinator; and Sleep Teaching (Hypnopaedia).

Each of the characters and exchanges represents a key thematic issue.
What are those themes? And what purpose does the juxtaposition of those themes serve.

Please address:
Mustapha Mond (the controller)
Lenina and Fanny
Bernard Marx, Henry Foster, and the Assistant Predestinator
Sleep Teaching

Admin
Admin

https://bravenewworldmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Why Does Huxley Cut Back and Forth in Chapter 3? Empty Re: Why Does Huxley Cut Back and Forth in Chapter 3?

Post by DenyceE Tue May 09, 2017 5:24 pm

When reading each of the events, it made me think like it was all in a movie. Sometimes you're at one scene, and then you find yourself at another. The scenes could even be happening at the same time, just in different places and situations.
I think Huxley is (possibly?) trying to test if we're paying attention to the story or not, because we're getting a look on how their world was made, what civilians do in their spare time, and the benefits? of sleep teaching and soma.

DenyceE

Back to top Go down

Why Does Huxley Cut Back and Forth in Chapter 3? Empty Re: Why Does Huxley Cut Back and Forth in Chapter 3?

Post by Admin Wed May 10, 2017 4:47 pm

I agree, Denyce, with the notion of the cut backs seeming movie-like. I do not, however, think that Huxley is testing us. The juxtaposition of these passages suggest a relationship among thematic elements in the novel, all of which Huxley explores in the rest of the book.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DenyceE Wed May 10, 2017 5:41 pm

So... kind of like foreshadowing?

DenyceE

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Yes, although I am not sure if that is the correct term, in this case.
Motif, maybe?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down