Brave New World Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 3-4 Questions & Discussion

4 posters

Go down

Chapter 3-4 Questions & Discussion Empty Chapter 3-4 Questions & Discussion

Post by vincent.nguyen Tue May 02, 2017 2:10 pm

3 questions & Comments here

vincent.nguyen

Back to top Go down

Chapter 3-4 Questions & Discussion Empty Re: Chapter 3-4 Questions & Discussion

Post by vincent.nguyen Wed May 03, 2017 8:27 am

Wait a minute....So in chapter 3, the little boys and girls are having "Erotic" playtime? O_O....

-Well at least they are still young so they dont "know"

Centrifugal Bumble Puppy: This game reminds me of a game in elementary school that i played where it had the same format of throwing a ball into a funnel. "Funnel Ball"

vincent.nguyen

Back to top Go down

Post by vincent.nguyen Wed May 03, 2017 2:09 pm

Chapter 3:

Games:
-In the chapter 3 it introduces "Controllers". One of them being Mustapha Mond. She introduces in page 26 what "Mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters" are and ends with "Though you probably dont know what those are". Controllers are the educators but they do not want to spread it too much.
-Why is this of significance?
*i think its because knowledge is power and because the controllers are the only ones that know everything they keep others from rising up from where they are born in.
"History is Bunk" - Henry Ford
-Because A.F. means After Ford, how does this quote correlate to the world in Brave New World.
-"Our Ford" which is quoted in the chapter is relevant to "Our Lord".
-When the controller says "history is bunk" why would they say that even though they are the only ones that know the history.
*"History is bunk" basically means history is of no significance and everyone should live in the present. Which i believe the world in the book is living in. No one has any knowledge on history, so they are just conditioned to live present. Plus everyone was shocked when they were little to not like books. Only Controllers know everything.
What is Soma?
-There's a movie out there called "Equilibrium" which is pretty good. I recommend watching it because it goes with what we are currently watching. And correlates to Soma. Just a fun fact Smile

vincent.nguyen

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 04, 2017 11:23 am

vincent.nguyen wrote:Wait a minute....So in chapter 3, the little boys and girls are having "Erotic" playtime? O_O....

-Well at least they are still young so they dont "know"

Centrifugal Bumble Puppy: This game reminds me of a game in elementary school that i played where it had the same format of throwing a ball into a funnel. "Funnel Ball"
a

And I think this is a key point: the notion of what "knowledge" is really key. "Know" in the biblical sense ("beget" from Chapter 1), and what stands for knowledge, "particulars" v. "generalities." Tell me more, Vincent. Myette

Admin
Admin

https://bravenewworldmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 am

vincent.nguyen wrote:Chapter 3:

Games:
-In the chapter 3 it introduces "Controllers". One of them being Mustapha Mond. She introduces in page 26 what "Mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters" are and ends with "Though you probably dont know what those are". Controllers are the educators but they do not want to spread it too much.
-Why is this of significance?
*i think its because knowledge is power and because the controllers are the only ones that know everything they keep others from rising up from where they are born in.
"History is Bunk" - Henry Ford
-Because A.F. means After Ford, how does this quote correlate to the world in Brave New World.
-"Our Ford" which is quoted in the chapter is relevant to "Our Lord".
-When the controller says "history is bunk" why would they say that even though they are the only ones that know the history.
*"History is bunk" basically means history is of no significance and everyone should live in the present. Which i believe the world in the book is living in. No one has any knowledge on history, so they are just conditioned to live present. Plus everyone was shocked when they were little to not like books. Only Controllers know everything.
What is Soma?
-There's a movie out there called "Equilibrium" which is pretty good. I recommend watching it because it goes with what we are currently watching. And correlates to Soma. Just a fun fact Smile

More on the idea/concept of "knowledge" in the Brave New World.
Love the intertextual connection to Equilibrium. Myette

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason.Green Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 am

I think the disjointed storytelling between what is happening with Mond opposed to what is happening with Fanny and Lenina is a good concept, but unfortunately becomes very confusing to the point of being hard to follow during the few pages consisting of nothing but dialogue. Another interesting thing I noticed while reading is Lenina's name, which is clearly derived from Lenin, the Russian politician, communist revolutionary, and political theorist. This continues with the theme of referencing Russian politicians and communist ideologies.

Throughout the text, so far, communism seems to be a central theme, particularly with the emphasis on the "sameness" that each and every person made in the hatchery has in regards to others within the same class.

Jason.Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Agreed. Why, then, do you think Huxley does that in Chapter 3?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Chapter 3-4 Questions & Discussion Empty Notes on Chapter 3

Post by DenyceE Tue May 09, 2017 7:03 pm

"The faint hum and rattle of machinery still stirred the crimson air in the Embryo Store." (22) The Embryo Store is also talked about back in chapter 1 on page 6. (orange book)

"...straight from the horse's mouth. Straight from the mouth of Ford himself." (22) Also referenced in chapter 1 on page 2.

"Our Ford-or Our Freud, as, for some inscrutable reason, he chose to call himself whenever he spoke of psychological matters..." (25)
I looked up 'Freud' and found out that its linked to Sigmund Freud, who was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, a clinical method for treating psychopathology through dialogue between a patient and a psychoanalyst.
Could Ford's character be similar to Sigmund and his teachings?

DenyceE

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes, to the Freud question. My question to you, Denyce, is why does Huxley make this connection?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down